Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TEA Form

Borrowed from the Compersion group on fetlife
 (something I need to keep handy)


KNOWN AS TEA FORM
All this requires is a pencil and paper. You draw 2 verticle lines on a piece of paper that will create 3 columns. In the first column, label it THOUGHT(S). In the 2nd column, label it ERROR(S). 3rd column label it ANALYSIS or ANSWER.
When you have a thought, write it under the THOUGHT column, then proceed to ERROR, (With the ERROR COLUMN, refer to the list of THINKING ERRORS below to label the error) then on to ANALYSIS/ANSWER.

THINKING ERRORS THAT PEOPLE MAKE:
JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS: This is where you overestimate the likelihood that a negative event is going to happen, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. This causes anticipatory anxiety.
BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION: Making a mountain out of a molehill or viewing events/situations catastrophic/insufferable when they really aren't.
EXTREME THINKING: Where you see everything as either good or completely bad. Nothing can fall in the middle with this type of thinking.
GLOBALIZING: This is where you take 1 instance, and forever turn it into a universal event that will occur over & over again.
EMOTIONAL BLOCKING: Where you give your feelings overriding importance. Just because YOU feel a certain way, does not make it reality. If your thoughts are inaccurate, your feelings are, too.
REALITY FILTER: Where you zero in on 1 negative detail and not seeing the rest of the big picture.
IGNORING THE POSITIVE: You refuse to give yourself credit for any of your accomplishments. IE: Oh well, anybody could have done that.
OMNIPOTENCE ERROR: You think you are responsible for events that are completely beyond your control.
COUNTERPRODUCTIVE MOTIVATION: Basically procrastinating. "I need to do this", " I should do this", "I have to do that". This type of language makes you feel guilty because it makes the task seem so enormous. Everything IS NOT a task.
NAMING: You label yourself or others if something is not done correctly. IE: I'm such a loser or calling someone else a jerk.

Here's an example:
THOUGHT: The TEA Form exercise won't help me.
ERROR: From the list above, this answer would be "JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS".
ANALYSIS/ANSWER: I won't know until I try it. If I try it and it works, I'll be glad I took the time to do it.

2ND EXAMPLE:
THOUGHT: The TEA Form will be too difficult.
ERROR: JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS AND EMOTIONAL BLOCKING.
ANALYSIS: It feels this way because I'm overwhelming myself with negative thoughts. Things are rarely as difficult as they appear to be.

3rd EXAMPLE:
THOUGHT: I'm not very good at stuff like this.
ERROR: GLOBALIZING, REALITY FILTER, NAMING AND JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.
ANALYSIS: Now, I'm making excuses to keep from trying this. No wonder I don't want to try with all the negatives swirling around in my head. I'll never find out if I don't try it. The sooner I get to working on this exercise, the sooner all those irrational thoughts will disappear and I will begin to feel better. It will become easier after doing it several times. I can do most things when I put my mind to it.

No comments: